When I finish my quick placement test, I felt very disappoint. I noly correct 34 out of 60. I think verb patterns is my weak area. And phrasal verbs is also the weak area for me. I think I must to pay more attention for these.
Most of time, we didn't to use the new words, but when you study on the MA, I think it is important to learn some new words.
Some new words:
1 afflict verb [T]
e.g If a problem or illness afflicts a person or thing, they suffer from it:
It is an illness which afflicts women more than men.
2. dysfunction noun [C] a problem or fault in a part of the body or a machine:
e.g There appears to be a dysfunction in the patient's respiratory system.
3 distrust noun [U] when you do not trust someone or something:
e.g The two groups have existed in a state of mutual distrust for centuries.
She has a (deep) distrust of journalists.
verb [T]
e.g In spite of its election success, the government is still deeply distrusted on key health and education issues.
4 renovate verb [T] to repair and improve something, especially a building:
e.g He renovates old houses and sells them at a profit.
5 hereditary adjective (of characteristics or diseases) passed from the genes of a parent to a child, or (of titles and positions in society) passed from parent to a child as a right:
a hereditary disease
e.g Depression is often hereditary.
It is a hereditary title, so Mark Howard will become Sir Mark Howard on his father's death.
potential adjective [before noun]possible when the necessary conditions exist:
e.g
A number of potential buyers have expressed interest in the company.
Many potential customers are waiting for a fall in prices before buying.
The accident is a grim reminder of the potential dangers involved in North Sea oil production.
6 potential noun [U]someone's or something's ability to develop, achieve or succeed:
e.g
The region has enormous potential for economic development.
I don't feel I'm achieving my full potential in my present job.
7prevalent adjective:existing very commonly or happening frequently:
e.g
These diseases are more prevalent among young children.
Trees are dying in areas where acid rain is most prevalent.
8 decrepit adjective:in very bad condition because of being old, or not having been cared for, or having been used a lot:
e.g
Most of the buildings were old and decrepit.
A decrepit old man sat on a park bench.
9recruit verb [T]:to persuade someone to work for a company or become a new member of an organization, especially the army:
e.g
Charities such as Oxfam are always trying to recruit volunteers to help in their work.
Even young boys are now being recruited into the army.
an army recruiting centre/officer
recruit noun [C]:a new member of an organization, especially the army:
e.g
Raw recruits (= completely new soldiers) were trained for six months and then sent to the war front.
10fatigue noun [U]
FORMAL extreme tiredness:
e.g
She was suffering from fatigue and a stress-related illness.
SPECIALIZED weakness in something, such as a metal part or structure, often caused by repeated bending:
e.g
The crash was caused by metal fatigue in one of the propeller blades.
See also compassion fatigue.
Sunday, 9 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment